Frequently Asked Questions
What is included in the kit?
- A 3-panel magnetic board with a one-fourth inch grid printed on the
- 200 furniture and architectural die-cut magnets of different sizes and
shapes. They are based on ¼" scale.
What is ¼" scale?
- One foot is represented by ¼". Example: a 4' x 1' table will
be represented by a 1" x ¼" magnet. Also, each ¼" space on
the on the planning board grid will represent 1 foot.
Is assembly required?
- The magnets are shipped in 5 sheets with the outline of each furniture and
architectural piece partially die-cut or scored. Upon receipt of the kit,
simply separate all pieces along score lines. Arrange and organize your
pieces on the magnetic planning board and your kit is ready to use.
Is this kit available at a local store?
- No, at this time our kit is only available via mail order.
Can I see a list of the 200 pieces included in the kit?
- Yes, click here for a complete list of the 200 scale furniture and
Are the Upholstery pieces deep enough to represent the large sizes found
in the market today?
- Yes. Most of the sofas and chairs are 39" deep.
Can you order additional magnets or planning board?
- Yes. Furniture Planning magnets ship within 5 different sheets. You can
buy any sheet at $7.50. Planning boards are $28.95. These parts are
available by fax, mail order, or secure on-line ordering. Click here to see
a list of available parts or to Order Additional Parts.
What are the magnets made of?
- The magnets are made of a flexible vinyl coated magnetic material.
Why are the magnets different colors?
- The casegoods are brown, the upholstery pieces are gray, the plants are
green, and the architectural pieces are black. This will help in achieving
balance in your room plan.
What is the size of the planning board?
- This is a tri-fold board. The planning board closes to 10" x 12"
and it is ½" thick. The three panels unfold to a 30" x 12"
magnetic work surface. Part of the space is used for organizing and storage
of magnets and part is used for space planning your room.
Can you lay-out a whole house on the board?
- No, this kit is designed for one or two rooms at a time. The size of the
board and number of furniture pieces is not adequate for a whole house at
once. Once one room plan is complete, the board can be laid on a flat bed
copier for a permanent record. You can also use grid paper in between board
and magnets and trace your room plan once complete.
What if my blueprints are on 1/8" scale?
- Our ¼" scale magnets can be used with ¼" scale blueprints. If
your blueprints are 1/8" scale, you may want them converted to ¼"
scale. Check with a blueprint shop in your area.
Can you use a dry erase marker on your planning board?
- No. If you desire to draw your room rather than use the architectural
pieces, draw on grid paper. Use the grid paper between the board and the